How to Choose the Right Lawyer
At Infinity Law, we pride ourselves on our commitment to transparency and client-centric approach, especially in the realm of civil law and general litigation in Victoria, Nanaimo, and Mill Bay. As we reflect on our journey, we're keen to share insights on the intricacies of legal billing and how to ensure you're getting the best value for your money.
Legal services are a blend of expertise and business acumen. The equilibrium between the caliber of legal representation and the cost of services is pivotal when selecting the right attorney. Here are some key considerations to ensure you're making an informed choice:
- Contingency Fees: If a lawyer proposes a contingency fee exceeding 40% for a litigation case, it's worth revisiting. The Law Society of British Columbia provides guidelines on this: Link.
- Retainer Agreements: These contracts safeguard both the client and the lawyer. Ensure it clearly outlines potential fees and expenses. Be wary if you're being charged both a lawyer's hourly rate and an assistant's rate for the same task.
- Communication: Regular updates from your lawyer are essential. You shouldn't only hear from them when a bill arrives.
- Team Approach: If a "team approach" is promised, ensure you're not billed multiple times for team members discussing or duplicating tasks.
- Billing Practices: Be cautious if you're billed every time your lawyer considers an action on your file or if there are high "file opening" or "file maintenance" fees. At Infinity Law, we believe in billing for results, not the methods used to achieve them.
In the bustling legal scene of Victoria, Nanaimo, and Mill Bay, there's a plethora of competent lawyers who prioritize their clients' interests. By asking the right questions and regularly reviewing your bills, you'll be a more informed client, ensuring a fruitful partnership with your legal representative.